Lots of people use fabric softener. If you have to believe all the commercials you can’t even do laundry without it – it is just as fresh and nice smelling as flowers. But is that actually true? We went to see what kind of ingredients are in fabric softener and it’s alarming!
When you read the ingredients, you can already see that not all substances are not really good for your health. We couldn’t find a single reason why you should foul your clean laundry with these chemicals! We’ve listed some of them below.
1. Alpha-Terpineol – This dangerous chemical can cause health problems such as nausea, headaches, memory loss and even paralyzation in the face and pain in your neck and back.
2. Benzyl acetate – A toxic chemical that is often linked to pancreas cancer. The fumes can cause irritation to the skin and airways.
3. Benzyl alcohol – Benzylalcohol can cause a lot of health issues such as damages to the central nervous system, headaches, nausea, dizziness and fast dropping of the blood pressure
4. Chloroform – Chloroform is a neurotoxin and can cause health issues such as the loss of consciousness nausea, headaches, dizziness and drowsiness.
5. Linalool – A drug that is known to cause trouble breathing and loss of muscle coordination.
Continue reading on the next page to see what to use instead and how to make your own eco-friendly fabric softener alternative.